Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Back at Hebron

On Thursday April 4, I was released from Ortho - One in Coimbatore and started the latest chapter in my life. The 3 hour trip up to school in Ooty was quite an ordeal. While I was disappointed in missing the Variety Show on the Wednesday, I could now agree with the doctor's decision! It was quite a struggle with a queasy stomach for the last half hour.

With my foot in a cast I was unable to do the 15 stairs to my flat and so spent my first night in Hoz. Dennis took me to the Thanksgiving Service in a wheelchair down the driveway. Talk about a white knuckle ride!!  On Friday I had to pack up and relocate to the Admin flat which is at ground level.

Stephanie arrived on April 5 for a visit. Yasmine, one of the staff, agreed to go with Stef to Mysore for the weekend. They returned on the Monday. On Tuesday Dennis took Stef  up to the Toda village and to the Government Botanical Gardens. Suzanne took Stef to the Ooty Market in the afternoon. Wednesday was a quiet father-daughter day while Stef caught up on some of her photos and just enjoyed a relaxing day. On Thursday Stef and Dennis went motor biking to Dodabetta, the Tea Factory, and Selborne in the morning. They made a stop at the "trench" or the "grave" into which I had slipped on Easter Sunday!

Lunch was Cheese Paper Dosa at Nahar's and then Stef spent some time wandering to the market before making her way back to school. The day was capped off with a wonderful home-cooked meal at the Payne's.

Our visit came to an end Friday morning, April 12,  when I dropped Stef at the Coimbatore airport before my hospital appointment at 9:00. The doctor removed the 15 staples from my leg and within 40 minutes of arrival at Ortho-One, Dennis and I were on our way back to school.

 I insisted we take the Kotagiri Road which is smoother than the Coonoor Road. Nevertheless we still had to stop to calm a very queasy stomach.  Seven hours and fifteen minutes after having left Hebron, we returned in time for lunch! It was quite a trip!!!

On Sunday, April 14, Dennis and I went to King's Cliff for a wonderful lamb dinner. It was my way of saying "Thank you" for his support during the last two weeks and for his availability to show Stef some of Ooty. Here we are back outside my flat at Hebron.

My next trip to Coimbatore is on May 1st. Until then the cast stays on and my foot is to be elevated! This is proving to be a challenge as I have started teaching. I have classes in my flat with their books on their knees as I sit on the Dining Room table with my foot up and a cushion under my knee.

There will not be many sights and sounds of Ooty for the next little while.

Photos later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home