Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Easter Part 2 - The Fall!

With the alarm buzzing at 6:00 a.m. I jumped out of bed on Easter Sunday morning.  Departure time was 6:20 a.m. in front of Reception. We made our way by car up to the Tea Factory and then a little further. The Selborne group had already arrived and we made our way up a slight incline overlooking Ooty.

Sam and Josh arrived on a motor scooter and our group was complete.

Dennis had compiled a song sheet, Sam had his guitar and we were ready to proclaim "Christ is Risen!"
While we were singing we were joined by a group from the Tamil Baptist church. The sun was struggling to make it through the clouds.

After several songs, scripture readings, prayers, and a thought from  Dennis, our service ended and we made our way back down the slight incline.
The Tamil group stayed up and sang some more Easter songs in Tamil.
Just beside the road someone had dug a trench which had been successfully navigated around on the way up! Unfortunately my left foot slipped on some loose gravel and I started to fall into the trench. This sudden loss of balance caused my body to swing around and a terrible "pop" was heard as I fell backward to the ground with a dislocated ankle and a broken right leg.
Immediately I was surrounded.  Mark jumped into the trench and supported my right leg. Helene took my pulse and someone else started calling school to send a large vehicle in which I could lie down across the back seat.  As no one was answering their phone at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, Dennis hopped on his motorbike and returned to school to raise  the alarm.
While this was going on, the Tamil group started on their way down. They could see us all sitting on the ground and thought we were having breakfast. When they got near they saw there was someone prone on the ground and realized there had been an accident.  Two members of their group were policemen and had their police vehicle parked nearby. I felt myself being carried and gently placed in the vehicle with bags and coats to support my leg. With siren blaring we made our way down the
Selborne side and through the Do Not Enter side of Garden Road to school. Helene asked the driver to keep the siren on as we made our way up the driveway to Hoz. As Helene  collected my passport, a change of clothes and some pain killers, I was transferred to a school vehicle for the 3 hour trip to Coimbatore. Sitting up sideways in the back seat of a vehicle going down the mountain w th a throbbing ankle is not the ideal way to travel!!! The driver was sympathetic and didn't hit too many bumps or pot holes along the way. Straight to Ortho-One we went.
Once there I was whisked straight into the examination room while Dennis looked after the paper work. X-rays revealed a Bimalleolar fracture and a dislocation of the right ankle. The  doctor on duty quickly, and with some pain, re-set the ankle and then splinted the area. Once this was done there was a dramatic reduction in pain.  The surgeon, Dr. Vinodh arrived later and mapped out a plan of action - surgery at 8:30 a.m.
 Monday morning, April 1. This was no April Fool's joke!!! I am now the proud owner of a plate and seven screws on the right side of my right leg and one screw and one wire hook on the left side. Otho-One is an Orthopedic Centre.
Dennis stayed with me and gave excellent support until he was called back to school on the Wednesday. He was replaced by Alan.
Throughout my hospital stay I received friendly and efficient care with lots of smiles from the early morning sponge bath man, the cleaning ladies who spoke no English, Nirmal in Emergency, the day and night nurses, the physiotherapist, and the doctors. While not the kind of Easter I had planned, I am extremely thankful for the wonderful support from so many and especially Dennis.



3 Comments:

Blogger Gigi T. said...

What people won't do to get some attention!! But I am glad you're OK.

April 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I visited the site this morning and it looks like a grave has been dug, not just a trench!

April 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

I'm glad to hear the full story now and also glad that you're on the mend. Take care of yourself!

April 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home