Monday, October 29, 2007

Week 13 in Review

It's hard to believe that my time in India will soon be coming to an end.

The first 13 weeks have flown by and there are only 7 more to go before the end of term and my flight from Coimbatore.

As mentioned in the last posting there was a timetable change and I am now teaching 1 class of Level 9 French for 2 periods and the entire Level 10 class of 24 for 4 periods per week. I am also doing all the Level 12s in conversation after school for 4 periods. A couple of the days are really long but that's OK with me as I would rather be busy than have nothing to do.

It took 5 days for my running shoes to dry outside from last Monday's rain. Tuesday I had a French conversation class after school before Concert Band practice. After practice we had a "Music Supper" for the staff and IGs who are involved in the Concert Band. We had some excellent homemade pumpkin soup. It was delicious with fresh whole wheat bread from the bakery in town. The soup was followed by a wonderful vegetable salad with Balsamic vinegar. (this was a first for me!) and stir-fry vegetables. Simply wonderful. NO RICE!!!

Wednesday I met both the Level 9 and Level 10 French classes. The students are nice and there is quite a range of ability in both classes. The actual French level is quite rudimentary in comparison with what I taught at High School. Wednesday night was my turn for telephone duty. This means that all incoming calls, after 5:00 P.M. came through my phone - even the direct calls to the dorms. No matter what number was being called my phone rang and rang.

Thursday was a long day what with a planning meeting at 9:00 A.M., a full school day, French conversation after school and the Staff meeting until 9:30 in the evening. there really wasn't much else to do because of the rain!

Friday I managed a quick run down to the store for toothpaste. I literally walked in a cloud. The umbrella was not effective at all as the water droplets managed to stick all over my glasses. Friday night it just poured.


Saturday was fine. So fine that Nigel (neighbour) and I walked to town and bought masks for the Masquerade event last evening. This is the major Student Council event for the term and was held in the Sports Hall. Everyone was asked to come in a mask. Some of the IGs with dorms had supplies to make their own. I had to buy mine.

There were stands selling Hot Dogs, Fries, Dosas, Pancakes, and Chilli Chicken. There was also a drink stand and a bake stand as well as games. The music was loud and the students had a wonderful time.

Today the sun shone just long enough to get to church and then the rains came again. I was fortunate to ride in the Trax and didn't get wet. Some of the students had left their umbrellas at school and ...

More photos can be found on the Hebron School website under Photos there is a series on last night's Masquerade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home