Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Arrival day

Today, Wednesday, was the day the students arrived. Actually they started arriving late yesterday afternoon with their parents.

Hebron is spread over two campuses for living accommodations. Most of the girls live at Selborne. All of the boys live at Lushington, which is where the school is located and where I am located. My bed-sit is in Silverdale, over looking the botanical gardens.

This morning I worked in the Department of Enhanced Learning administering screening tests to new students. This afternoon we had our weekly meeting with Rosalyn Ried, the i\wife of the principal. We had tea and biscuits and much discussion about timetables and our contribution to the school. After that I spent time preparing a screening test for my 7th form Math classes. i meet one group tomorrow and the other group on Friday morning.

We had plenty of rain today. The sun actually shone through for about 5 minutes. Cloudy and bright but no sun. Rain, rain, mist, mist, rain rain. The vegetation is lush and green. The birds-of-paradise flowers are beautiful.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was our "day off" according to the schedule. After a 10:00 A.M. breakfast and a meeting with the Math Department head I walked over to the Selborne campus. @0 minutes later and huffing and puffing I arrived. The lunch was delicious. Coral and I planned out trip for October. Nigel Hinton, academic vice-principal, will be joining us. There may be others.

Once we had decided on dates and travel company, I left for the walk back to Lushington. I decided to visit the rose gardens. After paying an admission of 10 rupees, about 0.30 $, I enjoyed the few left over roses and a wonderful view of Ooty. i will go back once the weather had cleared and try for some pictures. Thankfully I had an umbrella with me and so I was reasonably dry. The Indians were out in their saris and not bothered by the weather. I had walked down busy Commercial Street. The 3-wheeled taxis are everywhere. There is a constant din of the beeping of horns from trucks, cars, cabs, and buses, not to mention motorcycles. Everyone walks on the street and really is not bothered by the traffic. There was a power failure as many of the stores had generators going on the sidewalk outside the store. Noise and exhaust fumes everywhere.

The contrast is amazing. On one corner you have someone begging for food. Then you walk into the Big Store and find the latest in electronic gadgets.

Today is the last day we will eat in the main dining room Tomorrow the staff and IG's eat in the staff dining room.

That's it for now except that I have a dorm parent and helper meeting at 9:00 P.M. tonight.

Bill

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - it all sounds amazing.

August 8, 2007 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I agree with Stef, it sounds amazing. And impossible to imagine. I look forward to some pictures!

August 9, 2007 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home